Name: Julie Green
Occupation: Artist and OSU professor
City: Corvallis, Oregon
Birthplace: Yokosuka, Japan
Your present state of mind: Grateful
Your favorite qualities in a person: Wisdom, humor, a good cook
Your chief characteristic: Optimistic
Your idea of happiness: This moment. That’s true 80 percent of the time and I am working on the other 20 percent.
Your idea of misery: Drinking a glass of milk in a stadium full of people listening to a band play The House of the Rising Sun loudly and repeatedly.
Your favorite food and drink: Organic food, much from my garden. Right now venison vindaloo and fruit pie sounds good. To drink, the bright green oolong tea Lei Xue brings fresh from China.
Your favorite qualities in an artwork: It keeps me coming back for more. Like a Goya painting you can watch.
Your heroes in art: Marina Abramovic, Louise Bourgeois, Giotto, Guo Fengyi. Hero mentors Clay Lohmann, Roger Shimomura, Jaune Quick-to-See Smith. And OSU painting students, past and present.
What did you hope to find when you moved to Corvallis? Did you find it? Home, beautiful places to hike, smart colleagues and the support of major research institution, inspiration and time to paint, a studio with north light, friends, rain, a garden. Beyond my wildest dreams. Yes.
How have you built your artistic practice? Side by side with Clay Lohmann for twenty-seven years. Our life is similar to a residency. At 5AM, I make tea and spend time painting on paper. This is grounding. Then head to campus or keep painting. I attempt to keep job and studio in balance, with some hours each week for proposals, professional correspondences, and documentation of work. Daily yoga keeps my body and mind somewhat limber. Keep it simple. Have inspiring friends. No TV, no sofa. The only sound in the house is grandmother’s clock ticking.
What art and artists should we be watching? Nathan Childs, Rachel Hines, and Lorenzo Tribungo are on my radar. And I look at all kinds of collections, from the local historical museum to an erotic folk art gourd collection in rural Japan. I consider what looks like art but has another story. Deborah Roundtree’s photograph Utensil and Knife Box shows painted outlines for storing knifes at Alcatraz prison kitchen. Or there’s the snapshot someone took of an imprint in damp sand left by Sundara the elephant sleeping at Chester Zoo. It doesn’t get better any than that.
What's next for you? Implied space in painting is compelling after recently learning that I am mono-vision with zero depth perception. In an upcoming residency at the Joan Mitchell Center in New Orleans, I hope to examine this, and narration, what to leave in, what to leave out. I will be traveling with a new pigment discovered by Mas Subramanian at OSU. It’s the first stable blue discovered in two hundred years.
Whatever happens in the months ahead will inform the work. Warhol said the artist of the future will just point. I paint to point.